Brushing your teeth is pretty simple right? You’ve been doing it every day for years now—you’ve probably got the basics down. But are you using the right tools? As technology has improved, inventive people have come up with newer and better designs for toothbrushes. You have more options now than ever before. How do you choose a toothbrush that is right for you?
Electric vs. Traditional
You now have the option of choosing between an electric or traditional manual toothbrush.
The benefits of electric toothbrushes include:
- Electric toothbrushes are easy to use. They do all the work for you.
- Some styles of electric toothbrushes get your teeth cleaner than traditional toothbrushes and they can reach difficult areas between your teeth. Rotation oscillation electric toothbrushes are particularly effective.
The benefits of traditional toothbrushes include:
- Traditional toothbrushes are less expensive than electric toothbrushes.
- Traditional toothbrushes are smaller and lighter, making them easier to travel with.
- Some people find using an electric toothbrush uncomfortable and prefer a normal one with less vibration.
Soft vs. Hard Bristles
In most cases, soft bristles are the best option. Brushing your teeth too hard can damage the enamel, and soft bristles reduce this danger. Soft bristles are no less effective at cleaning your teeth, and cause less discomfort. They are also better than hard bristles for getting in between your teeth.
What Should You Chose?
Brushing your teeth is pretty simple—but you have to do it every day—so the right toothbrush will make every day a little better. For more help choosing the right toothbrush, talk to your dentist. A dentist can help you decide what your specific needs are and what type of toothbrush would be the best fit.